On 11/01/2005 12:53 PM, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 06:47:46PM +0100, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

[..cut..]

>>which compiled fine on RHEL 3. But debugging still does not work :-(.
>>I guess the problem now is that my kernel does not give the needed support to
>>gdb as I found
>>something about /proc/PID/auxv it tries to use which is not available on my
>>system.
>

> Ah, yeah, there is that too.  The PIE stuff was really only introduced
> in RHEL4 so trying to get this to work on old systems may be hard work.
> The RHEL4 gdb+kernel can happily debug PIE binaries, anyway.

Ok. So I guess I will continue to work with my PIE binaries on RHEL3 without
the possibility
to debug them with gdb and will wait for the introduction of RHEL4 in my
company to get this
fixed. Thanks for feedback.
Do you think I should add an hint to the debugging page that RHEL3 +
--enable-pie + gdb does
not work out of the box?

Regards

RĂ¼diger