--On November 3, 2005 8:44:02 PM +0100 Ruediger Pluem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I also agree with this. While I understand the performance benefits from
the developer perspective, I fear the confusion from the user and
administrators perspective. Having a clear configuration is not only
about having non-expert
users getting it work but also to ease the job of expert administrators
to understand what they configured a year or so after they did :-).

In my performance analyses that I did when redoing mod_cache last year, a substantial part of the time in httpd was spent in all of the hooks prior to the handler. Things like BrowserMatch (which do regex's) are ridiculously expensive.

So, moving the cache to a regular handler is not a minor performance penalty - it's a major one. And, probably to the point where there's *no* performance increase for even having a cache - unless you are combining it with a backend proxy. -- justin