--On November 9, 2005 9:25:20 PM +0000 Nick Kew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It runs with the access_checker/auth_checker hook.

That's two hooks of course, and not even contiguous.

I disagree. Access checker and auth checker perform almost identical functions. There is no reason why we couldn't replace them with only one hook.

There are only two occurrences of access_checker in our code base: the first is with mod_authz_host which would be fine if moved to an auth checker. The other is mod_ssl which uses the hook to reject invalid cipher configuration, etc.

The key change Sander and I wanted to do was to remove ap_some_auth_required and unconditionally run both check_user_id and auth_checker hook. The fact that it is conditional makes mod_authz_svn in Subversion a bit more awkward than necessary: it really needs to run on every request. So, if auth_checker executes unconditionally, then it becomes the same as access_checker (except run after check_user_id).

Sander may have wanted to do more things, but that's the one that matters here. This is all in the archives, I believe. -- justin