Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

I see no real reason why they should be forced to have the CRLF line
endings in all cases.

Why not? My real reason is wanting to have a single checkout for windows
and unix work. I'd like to halve the workload associated with verifying
changes. Visual studio can handle the unix endlines in all of the .c and
.h files just fine, it's only the build files that are breaking things,
and these are windows-only files.

Well, I agree with you, but OTOH the svn offers something that CVS
never did, and that is native eol style.

I remember days when I was changing .dsw and .dsp files to
binary format (!?).
Anyhow, from my point of view, the things are just fine, because
I don't have to take care of eol style before committing.
If you think that the .dsw and .dsp exceptions would ease the
things, I'm fine with that.
Although I don't see how that would help you create a .zip distro
where all text files must have CRLF line endings.

Regards,
Mladen.