On Nov 18, 2005, at 11:39 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

Roy's raised the recent issue that all ASF releases under his domain
(httpd project chair) should be reviewed -by at least three pmc members-
as well as the contributors and committers.

This raises an obvious question; are binary distributions releases?

No, they are packages.

Or are the merely repackaging the source code that was already approved?
It seems none of the platform binaries are reviewed today.

They are only signed by the person making them.  I don't see any
reason why we need to vote on binary packages if we trust the person
who signs them to have made the package from the released source.
We don't get to vote on distro packages either.

....Roy