On 11/27/05, Nick Kew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sunday 27 November 2005 22:11, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been wondering, do the Apache developers plan to develop and/or
> > include an official FastCGI-like module in Apache?
>
> Nope.  There's the old mod_fastcgi and the more up-to-date mod_fcgid
> out there.  Why does the world need another?

But not in the official Apache distribution. And not with a
Debian/DFSG-free license.

> If you have a specific need that the above don't meet, perhaps "FastCGI-like"
> isn't the best way to describe it.
>
> > I know there's for example AJP but that appears to be aimed
> > specifically at Java.
>
> AJP is part of the proxy framework.  It's written by the java (tomcat) folks
> for their own use, but if you have a non-java AJP server, there's nothing
> to stop you using it for that.
>
> > An official module would be handy so that PHP can be run in separate
> > processes without requiring the http server itself to use separate
> > processes.
>
> I can't see how that's of much use except in the case of a server which
> uses a little PHP but mostly runs some application that benefits substantially
> from a threaded MPM.  What would you need that isn't provided for by

KeepAliveTimeout is 15 by default. I guess/think the majority of
processes is idle during most (> 50%) of the time. I'm not sure, but
don't these idle processes still consume a lot of memory and
(persistent database connection) resources?

A separate process would also allow you to run PHP with other user IDs
and process priorities/privileges and provide fault isolation (apache
process/connection doesn't crash when PHP does).

> running PHP as CGI, under fastcgi, or on a separate server instance
> running with prefork and proxied by the primary server?

PHP as CGI causes too much overhead I think.
Proxying the entire server would be an option but a bit of overkill I think.