--On November 29, 2005 3:40:11 PM -0500 Paul A Houle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

* prefork and worker seem to be about equally fast on linux?

Yup - this is because forking and threading are equivalent (by and large) on Linux.

* is the case on Solaris?

No. The threading gains of worker are seen with Solaris and, I believe, AIX.

* MacOS X?

I haven't done a lot of high-end sites on Mac OS X.

* Solaris 9 is embarassingly slow running Apache compared to Linux -- is
the same the case with Solaris 10?

If it's on equivalent hardware (i.e. Linux/Intel vs. Solaris/Intel on the same box), I doubt there will be an extreme performance gap. In fact, I've often seen Solaris outperform Linux on certain types of loads. In my experience, a lot of Linux network card drivers are sub-standard; if it's supported by Solaris, there's a fair chance the driver takes full advantage of the hardware. (Netgear GigE drivers on Linux are abysmal.) -- justin