On Dec 5, 2005, at 10:19 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
But the obvious tangle becomes - do we return T-E chunked - and is that
a valid header as a HEAD response with no body?

From 2616 4.3,

For response messages, whether or not a message-body is included with
   a message is dependent on both the request method and the response
status code (section 6.1.1). All responses to the HEAD request method MUST NOT include a message-body, even though the presence of entity-
   header fields might lead one to believe they do.

I read this that the T-E entity-header field should be forwarded.

I disagree. T-E is a general-header field and must not
be provided if there is no message-body (see section 4.4).

   1.Any response message which "MUST NOT" include a message-body (such
     as the 1xx, 204, and 304 responses and any response to a HEAD
     request) is always terminated by the first empty line after the
     header fields, regardless of the entity-header fields present in
     the message.

Under 4.4

2.If a Transfer-Encoding header field (section 14.41) is present and
     has any value other than "identity", then the transfer-length is
     defined by use of the "chunked" transfer-coding (section 3.6),
     unless the message is terminated by closing the connection.

Which is obviously conditioned on number 1 above it.

But the only way we know we will send the same T-E and C-L values is to
determine the C-L as a result of piping the results through the output
filters to the network stack. Your patch suggests we should ignore that
potential issue.

That is completely irrelevant to forwarding a HEAD response.

....Roy