On Dec 6, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Brian Akins wrote:
That would work, I suppose, but wouldn't the client get the same impression "proxy is broken"? I generally only deal with "reverse proxies," so if origin is broken, whole site is broken...

Sorry, reverse proxy is not a proxy -- it is a gateway.

You are right that it won't make a difference in the gateway case,
though from a software design perspective, pipe-and-filter architectures
depend on sending errors down the pipe so that each filter can handle
the error.  Having the filter set a global variable that is normally
private to the client connection, just for the sake of obtaining the
side-effect desired specifically for HTTP and mod_cache, is, well,
unclean.

....Roy