Nick Kew wrote:

I really don't like the idea of having to install ant just to build apache.
It's a major new dependency, yet adds nothing to the server.

We have too many dependencies, at least this -one- would be ASF software.
I wholeheartedly support the concept, but don't believe this is actually
a viable option at this point.

Moreover, Francis' comments reflect a lack of comprehension with respect
to the chore of determining platform specific details that (at the moment)
require us to use autoconf, or some similar detection/test compilation
feature.  Ant is not prepared to handle these issues, and autoconf's
results aren't well integrated to serve ant.

His further dismissal of beginning at APR leads me to suspect that he's
never actually built httpd, or in the process, never noted that APR is
the first, most fundemental dependency.  If APR is not built using ant,
all further discussion on this list is rather pointless, no?

Bill