Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

Um, no.  We don't have release candidates.  You followed the documented
procedures correctly - you aren't the confused one.  =)  -- justin

Sorry, Justin.  I just reviewed the Guidelines, and they are, simply, wrong.

  "Email dev@httpd.apache.org, current-testers@httpd.apache.org and
   stable-testers@httpd.apache.org to inform them of the release."

Uhm, this is not proper, there is no -release-.  You might email dev@, and
(now) testers@ to inform them of a candidate, but not of a release, as there
is NO release without a vote.

  "At this point, the release is an alpha. The Apache HTTP Server Project has
   three classifications for its releases:

     * Alpha
     * Beta
     * General Availability (GA)

   Alpha indicates that the release is not meant for mainstream usage or may
   have serious problems that prohibits its use. When a release is initially
   created, it automatically becomes alpha quality."

Wrong on a single count.  There is NO alpha until there is a vote.  This was
the policy THROUGHOUT the tags of 2.0.n - we voted that a tarball was alpha,
then voted it beta.  At 2.0.36 or so we voted it GA, but again, every "Release"
was voted on.

You know full well the ASF calls NOTHING a release that does not have its
endorsement, and the only way to obtain that endorsement is 3 +1's.

Until it has 3 +1's, it's nothing but a snapshot, pure and simple.