--On January 3, 2006 11:09:34 PM +0000 Nick Kew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

That is of course resolved by LoadFile /lib/libz.so, which is what I
contend should be standard practice.  So when another module
relies on libz, there's no side effect that manifests mysteriously
according to whether and when mod_deflate is loaded.

I strongly disagree. Forcing the user to manually track all of the library dependencies is insane. If someone wants to shoot themselves in the foot, fine - you can do it. But, we shouldn't force everyone to fit your preferred model because you want a few less libraries.

Again, there are substantial libtool issues that come into play that limit what we can realistically do.

SSL seems to be the worst culprit.  httpd gets linked against tons
of stuff so that I cannot copy the binary to a non-ssl enabled host.

Indeed.  That principle applies equally to SQL client libs for DBD,
to DBM libs, and somewhat even to things like expat.

Expat is brought in by apr-util, so you'd have to add dynamic loading of expat to apr-util. In my opinion, it's a maze of twisty passages that isn't worth the payoff. -- justin