Is there any particular reason that httpd never does the
'setlocale(LC_ALL, "");' magic necessary to get libc to respect the
various locale related environment variables?  As far as I can tell,
despite system settings for locale (i.e. /etc/sysconfig/i18n on RHEL)
httpd always runs with a locale of C, which is fine for most things,
but pretty irritating if you have a need to do stuff with multibyte
strings in a module.

Just adding a call to setlocale with a "" locale in httpd's main makes
my particular problem go away, but I'm kind of hesitant to propose
actually doing so since I don't know what kind of fallout there would
be from having httpd all of a sudden start respecting the environment
variables...

-garrett