Jorey Bump wrote:
Jim Gallacher wrote:

Jorey Bump wrote:

IOW, could you guys list the OS on which you run, and not merely test, mod_python?

By you guys I assume you mean the above 4 people?

Yeah, youse 4 guys. :)

On the other hand, you may mean *all* the people on python-dev who test a release candidate should list their production platform. This would be useful to the core group as another data point in deciding on casting a binding vote to proceed to release.

No, I'm just interested in the core group. Everyone else gets an opportunity to list platforms when testing new releases, in pass/fail feedback responses.

Your point on making sure we don't overlook any key platforms in our testing is a good one. Should we (python-dev people) put together a list of key platforms as a future guide? It's likely a good idea, even at the risk of a flamewar. ;) I thought I'd put together a summary of 3.2.6 test results in the next few days anyway, which should be a good starting point for the key list.

A small checklist might be useful, such as Windows/Mac/Linux/UNIX/BSD. This has been handled fairly well in the past, but that might be due to luck. I'm concerned that some last minute fix will be checked into a stable release candidate without sufficient cross-platform testing. I mainly use Python in UNIX-like environments, and I forget how popular it is on Windows (the same goes for Apache).

Between the 4 I think we good coverage of your checklist, except for the non-BSD Unix category. This is one where we really need to depend on those in our community to help out with the testing, which of course they do.

Ideally, it would be nice to solicit feedback from package maintainers.

I asked a few months ago if there were any package maintainers monitoring this list but there was no response. At the time I wondered if *we* should make contact with the downstream maintainers but others here felt that was not our job (IIRC).

I use Slackware, which doesn't include Apache 2 or mod_python, so I can tell immediately how it's going to perform in my production systems. Users of stock Red Hat, Debian, SUSE, Mandriva, FreeBSD, Mac, etc. can't be so sure. The package maintainers are in the best position to flag potential problems. But this is an issue shared by many open source projects, and we'll need to be satisfied with the participation we get, and try our best to create a stable release.

For whatever reason mod_python issues get logged in the various the distribution's bug tracking systems but never propagate upstream. Perhaps people here that have an interest in a particular platform could get in the habit of occasionally checking these other bug trackers for mod_python issues and alert the python-dev list? Or maybe we could have tracking the bug trackers day. Once every couple of months we'd declare a bug tracking day and everyone here could run around looking for trouble on the other bug trackers?

Jim