On 04/18/2006 08:57 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>

>>> The httpd community has never objected to it.  IF you are suggesting
>>> putting
>>> wire protocol implementations in APR, I think again you are
>>> overloading the
>>> charter.  Suggesting that a matching client wire protocol library
>>> fits into
>>> the httpd's project goals makes alot more sense.
>>

>> However, that I will disagree with.  httpd has never wanted a client
>> library for the same reasons as APR: scope creep.  It's outside of our
>> charter.  -- justin
>

> If this is still the sentiment (my personal take is that we are the keepers
> of one HTTP reference implementation, so offering a client reference
> impl isn't
> outside the charter - ergo I disagree with the sentiment), well then...
>
> ...if you are interested in moving serf to 1) a full blown subproject
> (to avoid
> the development noise on our primary dev@ channel) or 2) creating a serf
> TLP,
> I'd jump on mentoring/joining that effort in a heartbeat.  It would
> probably be
> the fastest incubation process to date; re-importing an effort which
> started
> here, enjoys the ASF license, and (I believe) entirely maintained by ASF
> CLA
> holders ;-)

That all sounds promising. My main motivation for this discussion had been
to get an ASF licensed http client library into the game that is accepted
by the httpd developers and that can be delivered with the source tar ball.
(*duck* Ok, guys please branch this thread for a general discussion which
libaries
should be contained in a source tarball and which don't :-)).
I think we currently have some need for such a library in the proxy code and in
mod_cache_requestor. But I guess there would be possibly more.
Serf seems to fit very well for this job as it deals things via buckets
and already has the correct license.
I currently have no strong opinion about the best way to bring the library in
(subproject,
TLP, APR, whatever). So I will follow reasonable proposals for this.
Currently the TLP approach seems to appeal most to me.

Regards

RĂ¼diger