On 29/04/2006, at 4:30 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

Welcome to the big bad Internet.  Not everyone is nice.  It's a
valuable lesson to learn.

We can do all of the obfuscation we want in mod_mbox, but spambots
*do* just subscribe to the lists.  (We see them in the subscriber
lists.)  So, we can't obfuscate those addresses in the emails everyone
receives.  -- justin

Justin. we *want* people to use our bug system and our mailing lists.

Some of the subscribers may not be as experienced as you. They are just after a certain level of comfort.

By obfuscating their email address on web pages and bug reports we give the comfort to them, and they in turn feel more comfortable posting.

It doesn't matter if we don't stop *all* bots, what is being asked for is the status quo. The status quo on nearly all web-based products is to hide the email address.

and actually I think you could design the mailing list software *to* obsfucate personal
email addresses (similar to what gmane does).

It is just that the status quo isn't there yet for mailing lists.

--Ian
--
Ian Holsman
Ian_at_Holsman.NET