On Wednesday 03 May 2006 20:44, Brian Akins wrote:
> Is anyone else interested in having a generic cache architecture?  (not
> http).  I have plenty of cases were I re-invent the wheel for caching
> various things (IP's, sessions, whatever, etc.).  It would be nice to
> have a provider based architecture for such things.

Yes, I think at that basic level, your proposal is uncontroversial.
I'd like to be able to plug in alternative cacheing modules without
having to reimplement the whole thing.

I would point out there's a big "grey area" here, with regimes
such as ESI cacheing that are bastardised HTTP.  mod_cache_http
is (modulo any bugs) technically accurate for the current cache
module, but calling it mod_cache_rfc2616 might be less confusing
for users of other cacheing regimes that purport to be HTTP
(like ESI), or that run *on top of* HTTP (like some XML-based
monstrosities).

--
Nick Kew