On Jun 9, 2006, at 12:57 PM, Mads Toftum wrote:

I don't really see much reason for having 2.0.x bins at all, but keeping
old ones around is just asking for trouble imho.

Here's a scenario: I have mod_x, compiled against Apache HTTP Server version y. The maker of mod_x are bitches and do not keep up with Apache development, so when the MMN change, the module breaks. They say "mod_x is supported with Apache 2.0.y. Go get Apache 2.0.y if you want to use mod_x. Sorry, we cannot support versions of Apache later than 2.0.y. Don't even think about mentioning Apache 2.2. Now give us all your money."

It would be a great thing if I could download a binary of Apache HTTP Server version y to drop mod_x into, especially on platforms that do not come with a C compiler (cough Win32 cough). This would make life considerably easier if I had to quickly integrate mod_x, or if I had to replicate my customer's deployment environment down to the xes and ys.

In fact, this very scenario happened to me with Tomcat where I ran into some very finnicky version dependencies. Now we, in httpd land, don't habitually rewrite our entire project between dot versions, but it might be a good idea to make available a binary for the last released version before a major MMN bump. Disk is (fairly) cheap after all.

What trouble? Do we ever make any claims about our software beyond "if it breaks, you get to keep the pieces"? Source or otherwise?

S.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            http://www.temme.net/sander/