As a quick hack I tried enabling mod_dav on a location to see if it would act
as a storage backend for regular page serving. That is, just to use it for GET
and HEAD requests and none of the other DAV-related requests.

For the most part it works, but for some reason DirectorySlash and
DirectoryIndex don't work in this configuration. If I do
http://example.com/mydir/ I get a blank page (no errors), however
http://example.com/mydir/index.html works just fine. My trace log shows that
the request was handled as a request for the directory instead of a request for
mydir/index.html, so I'm guessing the request wasn't redirected properly before
being given to mod_dav.

Any suggestions? Did I miss a directive somewhere? Or is this just un-doable?