Rainer Jung wrote:

> Jim Jagielski schrieb:
> > Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> >>
> >> On 07/11/2006 10:41 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >> The hot-standby worker is the last resort if the site would be otherwise
> >> dead.
> >> The hot-standby worker can be used e.g. to display a maintenance page or a
> >> simpler
> >> version of the site or if you can affort the full site from an environment
> >> that
> >> only consumes power during a healthy state of the site.

> > I do like the distance attribute and am looking at the best
> > way to impl something similar while still keeping things as
> > abstracted out as possible.
>
> Once you've got "distance", hot-standby is implied by
> hot-standby=maximum(distance). Although it would be necessary to explain
> this special (and important) case in documentation, after having
> "distance" there would be no need for an extra hot-spare impl.

Yes, and that's why it's confusing. I can also see cases
where you would want a hot-standby available at the same
distance as well (check to see if there's a hot standby
first, before checking hosts at a greater "distance").

IMO, just because something is done one way in mod_jk doesn't
mean that it makes sense to copy the exact naming, etc over
to mod_proxy. People who do HTTP proxying and LB have one set
of "expectations" which occasionally do not map to how mod_jk
has done things.

   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [|]   http://www.jaguNET.com/