On 10/31/2006 05:56 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Well, it's mine and it should be anyone's really. After all,
> we are not talking about the "extra" time taken in the request/
> response phase but rather the switch-time taken for Apache
> to determine when/if to proxy and where. Total req-per-sec,
> not round trip time.

Maybe I am just missing the important point, but I think total
req-per-sec and round trip time are coupled to some limit.
If you have a slow backend and the thread/process processing
the request has to wait for the backend it cannot be used for
other requests. So if the time the backend takes to process the request
is far longer then the time used by the regexp I cannot see the penalty.
OTH if you have only a *few* slow backend requests and you have much
static data then this additional effort of the rewrite rule
can be bad as the rewrite rule has to be checked for every request
even for the fast ones. So I guess the real penalty depends on
the environment.
No arguing against a better ProxyPass, but IMHO it is bad design anyway
if you place e.g. jsp's and static files in the same directory / location.
If you don't do this you have no need for wildcards, prefix (and thus
current ProxyPass) will work fine here.
But I also know from practical experience that webserver admins have to
deal with the shortcomings of certain webapplications. And this is one of the
many good sides of httpd: It lets you deal with it :-).

Regards

RĂ¼diger