Joe Orton wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 06:09:38PM -0600, William Rowe wrote:
>> There is a very slick feature in perl, burried quite deeply, that
>> might be useful for our users of ./configure (and apr's as well.)
>>
>> loclibpth/locincpth define the system search order
>
> They don't, though.  The *toolchain* defines the header/library search
> paths and there is no portable way to extract those paths from the
> toolchain.  configure code which requires knowledge of the search paths
> is hence inevitably broken and non-portable, and usually fails to obey
> CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS to boot.

Yes - but where we arbitrarily extend the toolchain's search path in our
configure script - that's where we fall into a pit.  I'm suggesting some
method to keep ourselves from shooting users in the foot.

If it's defined by the toolchain, so be it.  If you add a LDFLAGS -lpath
that's fine.  I'm suggesting, in the absence of a lib in the path, that
we not arbitrarily invent search orders throughout our .m4 detection hacks,
and make them into a unified default list that can be overridden.