Nick Kew wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:11:16 -0500
> Brian Akins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Basically, mod_memcache could have this config:
>>
>> MemCacheServer memcache1.turner.com:9020 min=8 smax=16 max=64 ttl=5
>> MemCacheServer memcache4.turner.com:9020 min=8 smax=16 max=64 ttl=5
>> MemCacheServer memcache10.turner.com:9020 min=8 smax=16 max=64 ttl=5
>>
>> or whatever.  This would end the config duplication between various
>> modules. This module could also add memcache stats to /server-status
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Sounds slightly analagous to mod_dbd: what I describe as a service
> module in the book.  Ending config duplication sounds like a Good
> Thing, for the same reasons as DBD.
>
> Couple of thoughts:
>
> * What's the system overhead of memcache?  Is it similar to DBM?

Not sure what you mean... it mostly means lots of extra TCP sockets open
all the time.

> * I'm not really familiar with memcache, but the semantics look
>   somewhat like DBM.  Would there be any mileage in supporting
>   a DBM store in a unified functional API?

It supports more things; Like timeouts and some other things like
increment/decrement counters; It could be done on top of DBM, but I'm
not really interested in it.

> * Is it inherently thread-safe, or will you be needing a reslist
>   or similar solution?

apr_memcache internally uses a reslist, and itself is 'thread' safe once
configured.

-Paul