On 03/29/2007 12:57 PM, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:31:47PM +0200, André Malo wrote:
>
>>* William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>>Beyond that, apxs doesn't seem to quite fit that role.
>>>
>>>ab.8            apxs.8          httpd.8         rotatelogs.8
>>>apachectl.8     htcacheclean.8  logresolve.8    suexec.8
>>>
>>>Of the remainder, apachectl, htcacheclean, suexec and (for the most
>>>part) rotatelogs are only sensible in the context of httpd itself.
>>>But not really understanding the meaning of .8 pages, I'm not really
>>>clear if these are on-point or out of context.
>>
>>Well, we might put ab and logresolve in .1. [...]
>

> Together with the decision for .8 vs. .1, I suggest to adapt the
> sbin/ vs. bin/ installation directories. Traditionally, these user
> programs were installed in sbin/ too; but IMO binaries for general
> interest should go to bin/ (and thus get their man page in man1/)
> and server related things should go to sbin/ (and get their man
> pages provided in man8/).

As far as I can tell currently all binaries go to bin/.
But +1 to separate them correctly between bin/ and sbin/ and putting
their man pages into the correct section.

So I would propose to install

apxs
httpd
rotatelogs
apachectl
htcacheclean
logresolve
suexec
apu-1-config
checkgid
fcgistarter

into sbin/ and move ab.8 and logresolve.8 to section 1 of the man pages.

Regards

Rüdiger