You'd probably just use output filters to parse the output stream and
add content according to what you find...  I don't have a C example, but
do have a Perl example (string parsing is just soooo much more trivial
with Perl than C) at
http://search.cpan.org/src/ISAAC/Apache-UploadMeter-0.9915/lib/Apache/UploadMeter.pm
(search for "### Output filters").  One replaces a "custom" tag, and one
simply includes HTML at the beginning of <head>

  Issac