While I'm working on a solution to permit cmd.exe to be launched from
a service process within Win32, I'm still struck by the inefficiency
here and feel we need to resolve the core issue.

To remind you - Revision 104019 modified server/log.c to launch the
piped logger process under a shell.  Previously the system would parse
ErrorLog "|logsorter"  as  httpd -> logsorter, after this patch it
resolves as httpd -> sh -> logsorter.  80% of the time this simply
wasn't necessary, but certainly it's good for a small percentage of
users.  This became effective as of 2.0.51, prior to that version the
2.0.50 and earlier releases did not create this extraneous sh process.

So I brought up to the list 'fixing' this with an additional meta
character to follow | that would distinguish sh from non-sh invocations,
and permit both.  Since we really need to fix this in 2.2 / 2.0 and want
to do so harming as few users as possible (it would be clearly called
out in CHANGES, but none the less) please vote between one of these
two possible solutions that could be applied to 2.0 and 2.2 branches...

 [ ] Revert to "|foo" to invoke foo, and
     add "|$foo" syntax to launch foo via sh

 [ ] Retain "|foo" to invoke foo through sh, and
     add "||foo" syntax to directly launch foo

These were the best solutions I could come up with, others are welcome.

Bill