Ian Holsman wrote:
> Hey Bill
>
> just to clarify these are LOCAL DoS attacks? ie you need access to the
> machine (or the ability to execute php) in order for this to be an issue?

AIUI all of these are loading modules of untrusted code (or a scripting
language which gives you the same effect.)  Now mod_perl has minimal
presumption that it can be used to run untrusted code, while the PHP
community anticipates running untrusted code.  The httpd community is
(mostly) suspect on invoking untrusted code in-process.

That said, #2/3 looks like the only significant issue IMHO.  That the
parent could be cooerced to do something 'as root' is badness, and
we can agree with the reporter on that.  As the reporter apparently
believes 2 weeks is enough to solve any security issue, these are now
public.

#1 and #4 are minor, IMHO, as resource consumption is pretty trivial
if you are running anyone's code on your machine, through the facilities
of serving httpd or giving them a local user account.  I'd classify #1
as a bug, and #4 as silly but possibly worth patching.

Essentially, PID tables need to move from the score to a local process
list only in the parent, and unshared.  That would solve the 80/20 of
this entire class of issues.