Paul Querna wrote:
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
We have a serious issue to determine, and I've asked for a 48 hour cooldown
of wiki.apache.org/httpd/ to make a decision, and in the meantime asked that
the wiki become read-only for the conclusion of this decision.

 [XXX] Our httpd wiki is open to external resources for httpd.
 [  ] External httpd resources are prohibited.

I mean this explicitly, obviously a link to MS/Sun/RedHat about their
specific platform would be genuinely useful and relevant.

I believe that Wikis must be able to link to external sites -- just like
we do in the regular documentation.

However, just like the the regular documentation, these links are
generally restricted to Vendors, or other long standing and stable
sites. (or... example.com)
He has quoted the Apache wiki etiqutte guide, in his home page on the wiki.

Wiki Eitquette -- http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/WikiCourse/BasicIntroduction/200_Wikiquette?action=print&media=projection
His wiki Home Page -- http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/AskApache

In which he infers he is allowed to use external links to materials of his own choice. However the wiki-etiquette seems to be a standard set of pages shipped with MoinMoin, maybe they need reviewing for ASF application and either removing, or modifying accordingly.
I believe we can look to wikipedia's linking policy as a good example of
how to build a 'policy' that people can understand:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:External_links

In this case: AdSense covered personal blogs especially from people who
do not contribute in other mediums doesn't seem like a good place to be
linking to.

On the revision war: I don't like it;  I do believe AskApache's link
should be removed.  I don't blame megaspaz, he was using the tools
available, trying to communicate with AskApache that the link was
unacceptable.  The larger problem is that the AskApache person has
never, AFAIK, made themselves known on the mailing list, or other
mediums, making it impossible to communicate with them in other manners.
AskApache has had several email conversations with both myself, and Rich. In which he was asked politely, but firmly to not use links to content on his site. Material such as his htaccess guide were at best misleading, as well the possibility of plagiarism. Sadly they do get very agressive when their material is modified or removed from the wiki, he has thus far refused to openly communicate with us, claiming "... we singled him out for abuse ..."

Megaspaz is a commited helper in #apache and I firmly believe he was doing his best to keep the wiki clean, and accurate. We have been lucky so far in that we have only had two spam posts, much less than was originally anticiapted. I find it very unfortunate that it has come to this, considering Rich and I struggled for quite some time to have the wiki created. When we first started using the wiki, the intention was for it to be a staging post for non docs comitters to submit works that can be then moved into the official docs project. It has now grown beyond my best expectations with lots of good content. As mentioned in a previous email to the docs list, this has now become the de facto FAQ, and is growing day on day. In fact we were highly praised by 3 or 4 individuals in #apache for the content, as it was accurate and helped them solve their issues with little fuss and with ease. This is testament to those of us who strive to make it so, and of the content in there.

I have copies of these email conversations, and I am willing to forward them on to the appropriate people, rather than these lists as a whole.

This gentleman has been a source of concern for sometime with some regulars in #apache. Reviewing some of his material leads us to conclude that he may have some very valuable input to the docs project, but the way in which he has handled the situation has been less than enthusiastic. Unfortunately there is no simple way, or for that matter a policy, of preventing him from accessing the wiki. He has already used 3 different user accounts to circumvent measures put in place. We could of course block his IP and delete hsi user account, but as we all know these are very easily circumvented anyway.

On a policy: My opinion doesn't fit into a hard and fast rule, and
rather relies upon discretion.

-Paul