Renu Tiwari wrote:

> We need to support our application using Apache 2.0.59(64-bit) on Win
> 2k3 SP1 (64-bit). We tried to look for 64-bit installable for Apache
> 2.0.59 on apache website, but failed to find one. Is Apache 2.0.59
> supported on Win64? So we have downloaded the apache 2.0.59 source code
> for Windows(httpd-2.0.59-win32-src.zip). Will the source code compile on
> Windows 64-bit or there is a separate source for 64-bit apache. If same
> source can be used for both 32-bit & 64-bit windows, are there any
> specific steps to build on Win64. Please guide us.

I rather doubt you do.  Win64 support was in-progress on apr 0.9 but was
not complete (and httpd 2.0 depends explicitly on apr 0.9).  The httpd
Win64 compatibility was largely not there in 2.0.

The best solution is visual studio 2005.  First run this script from the
httpd 2.0 root;

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk/build/cvtdsp.pl

and invoke it with the -2005 option.  You can simply open the apache.dsw
workspace and convert it to an httpd 2.2 .sln.  Finally copy all the
.manifest files that correspond to the exe/dll/so files into your install.

> Note: We were able to locate apache 2.2.3 installable for win64.

Exactly - apr 1.2 really rounded out 64 bit support on windows and httpd 2.2
was further corrected to be 64-bit ready.

> We need same for apache 2.0.59.

Need?  We aren't doing much at all in terms of new development to 2.0, and
most of the win32/win64 contributors had not considered 64 bit support for
windows a real priority until we began development of the 2.2 branch.  To
make 2.0 work, it requires breaks in the binary compatibility - something
that we wouldn't entertain until the 'next version', 2.2.

It's open source.  I doubt you'll find easy success, but as we like to say
about open source, when it's broke, you get to keep both pieces, so it's
certainly yours to change as you like :)

In short, I personally consider 2.0 win64 builds not worth investing time
in, and you failed to indicate why you would actually want to run this
version that is not-ready for 64 bits.  If it's because of some loadable
module that is only built for apache 2.0 on windows, I'll bet you dollars
to donuts that it's also only built for 32 bits and wouldn't load in your
64 bit build.

Best of luck.

Bill