Peter Somogyi wrote:

> Sorry, could you point there please? (I've already spent 4 hours for google
> and grep on trunk, asked expert people here but couldn't find anything.)
> Do you mean the hole is in the auth way (we can use mod_auth_pam instead), or
> in using fs ACLs instead of .htaccess?

Twofold; if there was a code execution vulnerability somewhere within the
in-process server stack, including scripting languages or running untrusted
code, those files a visible to nobody.  Essentially you are sharing the p/w
list with everyone on the machine to crack the hashed passwords or search
for their match.

Secondly, unless ssl/tls is in use, the p/w's can be sniffed over the wire.
If these are also your ssh login accounts... well, you can figure out the
rest.