Allen Pulsifer wrote:

> Hello Paul and Dev List,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I checked out the links and did some code tracing
> with the debugger.  As one of the links pointed out, the problem is in the
> block of code attached below from ap_directory_walk() in server/request.c

just a quick note to thank you, Allen, for the most thorough analysis of
the optimizations of dir_walk.  I'm partially to blame (followed by others
who attempted to optimized further :-) and would love to see an optimization
model which is more generic, e.g. not engangled with the specifics of
'I'm for directories' or 'I'm for patterns'...  It's great to have your
reference to help debug and to correct the functioning of dir_walk, and we
hope you'll participate in testing/confirming any proposed fixes.

My thought for the next-step is to divide dir_walk into cache code (was this
opaque pattern hit before?) and into dir/file handling code, with fixes (which
your patch suggests) and perhaps even clearly splitting out the REG v.s. DIR
into some separate phases.

We are open to all suggestions.