Darryl L. Miles wrote:
The hung apache runtime always occur after the leader apache process has been given its signal to terminate. So talking in terms of what web pages it serves makes no sense, since it has already shutdown all further webpage processing. The fatal bug is that the apache leader process does not terminate in good time and remains running. I believe it also hang onto the bound listerning tcp sockets as well, obvious a kill -9 gets rid of it.

Some OSes have good tools for process inspection (or: for some OSes I know them):

Linux: gstack
Solaris: pstack, gcore
Most OSes: gdb

Regards,