On sön, 2007-07-29 at 20:34 +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
>
> > The solution is to NOT rewrite the on-disk headers when the following
> > conditions are true:
> > - The body is NOT stale (ie. HTTP_NOT_MODIFIED when revalidating)
> > - The on-disk header hasn't expired.
> > - The request has max-age=0
> >
> > This is perfectly OK with RFC2616 10.3.5 and does NOT break anything.
>
>  From 10.3.5: "If a cache uses a received 304 response to update a cache
> entry, the cache MUST update the entry to reflect any new field values
> given in the response." This sinks this, unless I am misunderstanding
> something.

Is anything about the cache updated when the headers is not rewritten,
making any difference in headers or freshness on the next request?

It's prefectly fine for the cache to completely ignore 304 responses if
you like, except for the small cornercase if the 304 for some reason
indicates a different object than expected. If the cached object is
still very fresh there is not much use of updating the cache only
because you can.

Regards
Henrik