De : Phil Endecott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Envoyé : mercredi 5 septembre 2007 00:05
À : dev@httpd.apache.org
Objet : mod_proxy: Is smax=0 allowed ?

Dear Experts,

According to the mod_proxy docs, parameters to ProxyPass include:

   smax   max   Upto the Soft Maximum number of connections will be
created on demand.
                Any connections above smax are subject to a time to live or ttl.

So, am I allowed to set smax=0 ?  In my case, I don't want any permanent
connections to the backend server; when the site is being used connections
should be created and can persist for a while and then time out.  So I tried
"smax=0 ttl=60".  But I have not seen any connections being dropped.  So I
looked at the source, and in proxy_util.c there is some code that does this:

if (worker->smax == 0 || worker->smax > worker->hmax) {
   worker->smax = worker->hmax;
}

So it looks like 0 is a sentinel for "no value specified", and the default of
the hard maximum is applied in that case.  Is this a correct understanding of
the code?  If so, is this the desired behaviour?  Is it possible to keep no
permanent connections to the backend server?

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Phil.

(I'm subscribed to the digest so I'll see any replies sooner if you Cc: me)