This is really, really strange because basicly the conditions in your patch
and my patch are the same (The test done at the beginning of
ap_proxy_initialize_worker_share is basicly the same as mine).
So I currently cannot tell why your patch works and mine does not. This
needs further testing.

> It works using my httpd-trunk version. Could you guys confirm
> if it is correct?

The downside of your patch is that ap_proxy_initialize_worker_share
is also called from other places outside mod_proxy_balancer and
it is part of the public proxy API which might make it impossible
to backport your patch to the stable branch as your patch changes
the behaviour of the function.

Regards

Rüdiger