On Oct 2, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

On Oct 2, 2007, at 12:23 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
The more I think about this, if <Location *> is supported at all it
should be the first-applied, global setting of any request, not just
OPTIONS * (there really is no reason for specific exceptions.)

For that matter <LocationMatch ".*" > IS supported already - those would affect and inform the client with respect to their OPTIONS * requests.

As Roy points out, if auth is required for the whole server we want to
tell the client that.

I was only talking about the OPTIONS /path case.  * is a special
case of a true null request -- it should only deal with server
capabilities and ignore Location/Directory configs.

The current rec does that. Since * does not map to
any storage, or, in fact to any Location, it simply creates
the Allow from the server capabilities.