On Oct 3, 2007, at 8:30 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
I don't see why we care, either way.

Could you clarify what we aren't caring about, since your answer was
a bit ambiguous?  (Abandon or not, message our users or not, etc)

Why do we need to announce anything?  Why do we need to presuppose
that there is no further work on 1.3 when our policy has always
been that any person can work on what that person wants to do?

This announcement thing is simply telling people that some current
subset of the apache group no longer maintains 1.3, so you should
fork the server somewhere else if you don't like it.  -1

I don't care what the uptake graph says.  I don't care what people
outside this project mailing list think, period, about this project.
And if five years from now there are three or more Apache committers
that want to release 1.3.x, then no stupid marketing announcement
is going to stop them.

We have better things to do.  Let's do those things and stop worrying
about other people's perceptions.

....Roy