Andrew Beverley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope that this is the correct mailing list for this question, and that you
> can
> easily provide a quick response.
>
> I am currently working within the UK Ministry of Defence, and am trying to get
> Apache web server accredited as software able to be installed on one of our
> defence networks. However, one of the barriers I am coming up against is the
> argument that, because it is open source, that someone could contribute a
> Trojan
> horse to the code and that the code could be included in the official product.
>
> What I would like to know, so that I can dispel this, is what procedures are
> in
> place to prevent this happening? I know that all downloads are digitally
> signed,
> but what other procedures are in place? For example, how is code signed-off
> for
> inclusion in production releases?

The trojan horse argument is a flawed argument commonly used against
open source projects, a Google search on the subject will pop up a lot
of articles on this subject. Example, this fine article:

http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/open-source-security.html

On a personal note, I think that the distributed development nature of
the Apache HTTPD (and other open source projects) are what makes me more
confident to trust it and given it's 50+% market share I'm pretty sure
other people trust it too.

On a side note, the NSA (National Security Agency) has taken the open
source route and they don't seem to be worried :-)

Regards,

Davi Arnaut