I started to play with xsendfile more.  I noticed the mod_xsendfile floating
around tried to basically replace what the default handler does very well.

Basically, my version does a subrequest for the file.  This allows things
like "Deny from all", etc, to work.  This should be more secure, ie, if you
set your deny's correctly, you can't "X-Sendfile: /etc/passwd".  All in all,
it seems more "httpd"-like, to me.

It is very rough.  I do not understand brigades enough to know why it is
chunking every reply in my tests.  I have tested with just a normal cgi
setting the header.

Not well tested.  I'd like to see us work toward getting X-sendfile into the
normal httpd distribution (along with mod_fcgid...)

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer