On Jan 25, 2008 7:55 PM, Akins, Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I started to play with xsendfile more.  I noticed the mod_xsendfile floating
> around tried to basically replace what the default handler does very well.
>
> Basically, my version does a subrequest for the file.  This allows things
> like "Deny from all", etc, to work.  This should be more secure, ie, if you
> set your deny's correctly, you can't "X-Sendfile: /etc/passwd".  All in all,
> it seems more "httpd"-like, to me.

I am not very familiar with X-Sendfile (as in: I read about it but
never used it), but it sounds like it's breaking the FastCGI security
model. The FastCGI process is likely to be running under a different
account, but here we have a facility that allows that other process to
use the privileges of the Apache user to fetch a file. I can see how
this feature could easily find its way to the list of small tricks
that can be used to compromise a web server installation, one step at
a time.

--
Ivan Ristic