On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 04:51:40PM +0000, Dr Stephen Henson wrote:
> Well the current CRL strategy has a few problems. It ignores critical
> extensions but that's a separate issue...

I was looking at this recently; is it still true that mod_ssl has to do
so much of the CRL revocation checks for client certs itself (i.e. all
of ssl_callback_SSLVerify_CRL) - it looks like X509_verify_cert() can do
revocation checks itself if suitably configured, though maybe this is a
recent addition?

> Many CRLs have short lifetimes and need to be updated fairly often which
> causes problems when the server needs to be restarted each time.
> Well that's one strategy... another would be to use OCSP exclusively and
> have a local OCSP responder driven by CRLs.

Right, that is exactly my view.  I think that any attempt to make
mod_ssl treat CRLs as anything other than static files loaded once at
startup will end up trying to reinvent OCSP badly.

If a free OCSP responder existed which actually did this maybe those
"make CRL handling better" bug reports would go away :)

joe