It has not be the right way for long and the fixes that need to be
done are small. So I see no issue here having this done in 2.2.9 with
apr 1.2.x. We can align it with trunk 2.2.10 or later.

>   * users looking at the mmn expect a certain baseline; explaining why
>     they cannot compile this module which is purported to run
> with httpd
>     ver 2.2.9 or later would become too complicated.

Do we really need a bump anyway when we only ship 2.2.x with 1.3.x but
do not make it dependent on it?
We could do the bump later once we depend on 1.3.x.

> > Furthermore I could image adding apr-1.2.x / apr-util-1.2.x
> directories
> > to our tarballs for the next release to make it easy for
> users to fall
> > back to 1.2.x if there is some kind of regression in 1.3.0.
>
> Now that the code is branched, we should ensure there is fundamentally
> no difference in existing 1.2.x functionality; we can't break abi or
> even significantly change behaviors, only add "new things"

In general yes. All the measures above should only ensure that the users
have a quick fallback in case something is broken. I still think that
this approach gives us the best of both:

* A broad test audience for 1.3.0 and thus giving us a much better feeling
  for the quality of 1.3.x.
* A very quick possibility to resolve possible regression issues in 1.3.0
  Of course these possible regression issues should be solved quickly
  1.3..x

> > But it might be also ok to require the users in these cases
> to download
> > 1.2.x separately drop in the sources and call buildconf.
>
> well if there is no difference between 1.2 and 1.3, and we recognize
> that the first 1.3.0 is entirely not solving the problem for memcached
> for example, we could change the prereq to 1.3.1 for the next release
> to ensure they have the bug-free implementation for the next
> httpd tag.

Sure. I guess this needs to be done anyway regardless of my proposal.

Regards

Rüdiger