William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

I think the bigger idea that mod_cache must handle all rfc related issues
is key.  mem and disk cache should never have had substantial differences
in behavior, but they do.

So the more we can consolidate in mod_cache w.r.t. the requests themselves,
the less the backend old-disk, large-disk, mem, memcached or other providers
will break things.  So proving that the all this logic belongs in neither
the old-disk or large-disk cache is a very useful exercise.

Definitely.

The large_disk_cache however was a redesign of some of the underlying principles of the existing disk_cache, and as a result it needed time to be bedded down and fully agreed to by everybody. Not having it in the tree at all means that it may lose out on Dirk's improvements.

Regards,
Graham