On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 04:27:58PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to unit test my module (catacomb.tigris.org) using Python. My
> idea is to load the module with ctypes (a python module that allows to
> load functions from shared libraries into python) and test it in this
> environment. The main advantage is that it's much easier to create
> mock-up objects in Python than in C. My problem is that ctypes fails if
> the shared library contains any undefined symbols. Because the module is
> used normally together with a httpd server,
> there're a lot of undefined symbols. My solution is to link libapr,
> libaprutil, libexpat and libmysql statically in my module and to add a
> file with the definitions of the apache-internal functions (just copy
> and paste from httpd source). With every function which I copy in this
> file I get a few new undefined symbols. All in all it's a pain to search
> all definitions and I probably have to do this again after adding new
> features which uses other functionalities.
>
> Is there an easier way to do this? To build a module which includes all
> needed links to apache functions without linking the needed libraries
> statically and copy-and-paste functions from apache source? Or do you
> know a better way to do this?
>
> Steven

With httpd 1.3, there used to be a way to build something what was
called "shared core", a shared object that contained the server in a
form you could link it into an application.

I don't know if this is still possible with httpd 2.x, but what used I
in an RPM package at the time was

    --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE

    mkdir shared_core
    cp -p src/libhttpd.ep src/libhttpd.so src/httpd
    shared_core

   # install shared-core apache
   install -m 755 shared_core/libhttpd.ep $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_libdir}/%{name}
   install -m 755 shared_core/libhttpd.so $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_libdir}/%{name}
   ln -s %{_libdir}/%{name}/libhttpd.ep
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_sbindir}/httpd-shared_core
   ln -s %{_libdir}/%{name}/libhttpd.so $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_libdir}/libhttpd.so

At the time, that was reportedly working to build DSOs with Kylix 3.

Peter
--
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (a.k.a. [EMAIL PROTECTED])
         #opensuse-mirrors on freenode.net

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development