On 10/08/2008 11:21 PM, Vinicius Petrucci wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ok. but if I cannot change the assignment of workers to balancer
> during runtime, how do I duplicate the workers at startup?
> where should I write the code for duplication?
>
> I've tried using the httpd.conf, e.g.,
>
> <Proxy balancer://webapp1>
>    BalancerMember http://ampere:81 route=ampere loadfactor=20
>    BalancerMember http://coulomb:81 route=coulomb loadfactor=10
>    BalancerMember http://hertz:81 route=hertz loadfactor=10
>    ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests
> </Proxy>
>
> <Proxy balancer://webapp2>
>    BalancerMember http://ampere:81 route=ampere loadfactor=20
>    BalancerMember http://coulomb:81 route=coulomb loadfactor=10
>    BalancerMember http://hertz:81 route=hertz loadfactor=10
>    ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests
> </Proxy>
>
> but when Apache starts it outputs the following warning:
>
> [Wed Oct 08 18:14:48 2008] [warn] worker http://ampere:81 already used
> by another worker
> [Wed Oct 08 18:14:48 2008] [warn] worker http://coulomb:81 already
> used by another worker
> [Wed Oct 08 18:14:48 2008] [warn] worker http://hertz:81 already used
> by another worker
>
> Is there any problem using this approach?

The workers in your second balancer are not copies, but are the *same*
workers as in your first balancer. So what can you do to create copies?
If you web applications have context pathes do something like

<Proxy balancer://webapp1/webapp1>
   BalancerMember http://ampere:81/webapp1 route=ampere loadfactor=20
   BalancerMember http://coulomb:81/webapp1 route=coulomb loadfactor=10
   BalancerMember http://hertz:81/webapp1 route=hertz loadfactor=10
   ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests
</Proxy>

<Proxy balancer://webapp2/webapp2>
   BalancerMember http://ampere:81/webapp2 route=ampere loadfactor=20
   BalancerMember http://coulomb:81/webapp2 route=coulomb loadfactor=10
   BalancerMember http://hertz:81/webapp2 route=hertz loadfactor=10
   ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests
</Proxy>

If not use different hostnames for your backend that point to the same
IP addresses, e.g. ampere-webapp1 and ampere-webapp2

> BTW: I'm planing to support multiple services (or applications)
> associated to different (dynamic) group of servers. My cluster
> configuration needs to be dynamic because the workload for the
> different running applications varies according to the time. The point
> is to change the overall cluster configuration (increase/decrease
> servers on balancer X) depending the their loads.

As Paul said, the best approach here is to setup a configuration like
you did (with the small modifications I proposed) and let your module
do some kind of "virtual operator" of the mod_proxy_balancer web interface
by dynamically enabling and disabling the workers you like.

Regards

RĂ¼diger