Jorge Schrauwen wrote:
    I think for a large configurations, the copy on write is a
    significant optimisation - you can have large numbers of processes,
    and a large configuration, and get away with it, as practically the
    configuration is only memory resident once.

    I think it would be important to still support both, but certainly
    the code to support both shouldn't be at all complex. Perhaps the
    choice of which to choose could be configurable, so that Leopard
    users could choose "config via pipe".

If you are going to implement both methodes...
fork() should be used and exec and pipe the config as a fallback.

Well, part of the problem is that many current apache modules assume that the parent and child are fork'ed from one another -- this is a wrong assumption of course, since,it doesn't work on win32 that way -- but most of those modules are win32 only of course. If we do this on unix, we will break all of those modules.

Of course, maybe that is a good thing, since then they would be ported forward and work on win32 too.

-Paul