On 7 Dec 2008, at 11:24, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

Similarly, I would rather have httpd tell me I'm on a unixd-style platform instead of second guessing the modules to enable. Any reason not to load
it, ever, on a unixd platform?

Yes, potentially.

Dependencies on ap_unixd_config are currently a bit messy, and
it would be good to clean them up, or at last API-ise them so it becomes
more a 'proper' module.  More directly relevant to your question,
it should in principle be possible to use a further-developed
mod_privileges, or comparable alternative scheme, as a complete
replacement for mod_unixd.

Seems like they would be good general statically linked defaults.

It needs to know there is *some* system privileges scheme in
operation and isn't running as unprotected root.  But that's all.

--
Nick Kew