----- Original Message ----

APR::Request::Error is a subclass of APR::Request.  What it does differently
from
APR::Request is that it runs all the commands with errors disabled.  Most of the
stuff you are worried about would be adequately handled by just doing something
silly like

   my $req = APR::Request::Apache2->handle($r);
   my $jar = eval {$req->jar} || $...@->jar; # best effort