Jonath writes: "As a browser, we do some things to help our users here, but we can’t solve the problem. https resists this kind of surveillance and tampering well, but requires sites to provide 100% of their content over SSL."

http://blog.johnath.com/2009/03/05/deep-packet-inspection-considered-harmful/

One of the biggest blockages with SSL is that small sites cannot easily provide HTTPS because Apache httpd and IIE do not easily handle virtualised HTTPS.

The demand for TLS/SNI is there.  The threat is there.

What is holding it back is labelling: currently, TLS/SNI is seen as a "minor feature request" when it is really a major security bug, a flaw in the original design. It's a bug because people don't use HTTPS and instead send their data totally in the clear; the worst sort of bug, because the attacker won without having to attack.

Any news on progress?

iang