On Mar 30, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Paul Querna wrote:

mod_watchdog is the latest offender in a series of modules that expose
additional functions to the API. (mod_proxy and mod_cache do too!)

What happened to all functions that are not inside server/* must be
either dynamic optional functions or hooks?

Some modules (mostly 3rd party??) allow it either way - optional function or just linkage. I'm personally a fan of hooks and providers. (With providers, I usually just do the lookup once in, say, post-config, and "cache" the results in the "subscribing" module - this saves some hash lookups on potentially every single request.)

As I hack on some lua stuff, it's useful to have the symbols for functions. That may just be because I'm lazy, because I could do optional function lookups in library opens, I suppose. OT, but I like my Lua glue in a lua module and just use "require 'apache2.memcache'" (or whatever) to do the linking. This works really well with per thread lua states that are all loaded at startup... (hint, hint)

--Brian